IDE and AHCI

Sleinous

Author Level
Some of you may remember my little problem with IDE and AHCI a little while back.

Well today when I went in BIOS I noticed that it was back to IDE (normal seeing as I did a bios update and forgot about resetting it I think) anyway after reenabling AHCI, I load back into windows. Everything's working fine. SO I restart, and go into BIOS, its still in AHCI, but when I look at boot priority or hard disk drive tab, I notice it still says IDE infront of it. Now i've also read about not being able to load Windows when you switch from IDE to AHCI as the driver isnt installed. However i'm loading into Windows fine, (I did also check in regedit and my value in "start" was 0 as this thread shows:

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-7-rc-after-installation/

The only change i've made is added my external 3GB/s WD Green drive into my computer's 6GB/s port (for convenience, I may move it to a 3GB/s port later when I can be bothered to snake it through a dozen other wires lol).

So they both show up as IDE despite being in AHCI mode and before, when I just had the 1TB SATA II in, it did show up as SATA. I'm guessing it reverted to IDE when I did a bios update? Or maybe because this new drive is present and it's IDE formatted? Any ideas would help :p

EDIT: Also storage is set to AHCI, so its not the bios update as that setting stayed the same as before. What is odd is that it doesnt detect any of my HDDs in the SATA ports (look at screenshots attached) but everything still works fine lol.

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

EDIT: Checked in dev manager, there seems to be an AHCI driver for the Intel sata ports. I movd my 3gb/s 1TB to a 3gb/s port and now it shows up as HDD but no longer shows up on boot screen, still shows up on Windows :p

Last edited:

Zeplini

If you have 6gb speed drives they are on a different controller and wont show up in the bios, and you are actually changing the wrong controller in your screen shot, for the 6gb controller the setting is in onboard devices, on boot you will get a 6gb post screen for the 6gb controller, which displays your hard drives and speeds ;)

lol hope that makes sence

page's 2-40/ 3-27 in the rampage manual ;)

Last edited:

Sleinous

Author Level
SOrry ye, i realised when I was at work that the reason the 2nd drive disappeared from the boot screen when I plugged it into the 3gb/s socket is because the boot screen is the 6gb/s one :p

Still, any ideas as to why it thinks im in IDE mode? Seems in dev manager im in AHCI. very odd.

EDIT: Silly SILLY me :p yes those 6 SATA ports on the screeny are the 3gb/s ones arent they?:p Thats why now it shows as HDD in number 2 as I plu9gged it in number 2 slot, and the DVD drive is still there.

So, back to the initial prob, how come it shows IDE: WD1002FAEX etc etc etc when I go into hard disk, or boot priority? :p

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
If the drive is running in SATA 6GB's mode, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it matters too much what the BIOS displays it as...

Sleinous

Author Level
most probably :p Seems to be running along nicely. Just added my external 1TB into the haf, gonna add my 320GB too now :p I love the simple slide in and out drive bays on the HAF 932