whazza "Hyper Bass Reflex" ?

[ DIY ] Hyper Bass-Reflex Type Enclousures (for Single Driver) - DIY - Loudspeaker | Low-end Speaker Craft

tough to wrap pea-brain around this thing and how it might vary as the maker
works with little fullrange drivers - in the try below, it looks like a MLTL

Rough stab at a "hyper bass reflex" roughly using the "rules" below for the low qts B&C 12pe32 vs similar bulk reflex

rwmoi5f.jpg

Hyper Bass Calculations

hyper-04.jpg

if Sd is linked to "cubic" units - then IIRC, the smaller Karlson rear chambers were ~28 cubic inches per sq. inch cone area. (and K15, ~43 cubic inches)

that seems to be that guy's thinking (kinda) - his rules might be "improved"

(not saying this is the best route but apparently he thinks it works for his little FR)

getting path lengths from his formulae for hornresp is tough right off the top of my head

hyper-04.jpg

Last edited:
I could be wrong (it's been known -usually on a second by second basis ;) ) but I'm not sure the design method has a target path length per se. The impression I had is that the original design derivation started off with a regular vented box of xyz volume & tuning (however arrived at), and this was then divided into given volumes with the additional internal panels. I wasn't sure how they'd arrived at those particular dimensions, so the diagrams & formulas you've found at least show that. Definitely not how I'd do it for the reasons Greg mentions, and presumably it's expected to give different results for the same OA volume just by changing the HxWxD ratios of the box.

Last edited:
[ DIY ] Hyper Bass-Reflex Type Enclousures (for Single Driver) - DIY - Loudspeaker | Low-end Speaker Craft

tough to wrap pea-brain around this thing and how it might vary as the maker
works with little fullrange drivers - in the try below, it looks like a MLTL

Rough stab at a "hyper bass reflex" roughly using the "rules" below for the low qts B&C 12pe32 vs similar bulk reflex

rwmoi5f.jpg

Hyper Bass Calculations

hyper-04.jpg
i think its worth a try if we can simulate some sort of foam or dampening in the path and get it to smoothen out.... have to try
the only issue i am seeing is the 200Hz dip and the peaks. otherwise, its performing pretty good on 100Hz and then maintaining same roll off as normal bass reflex
i am thinking of trying it on Purifi Woofer, have to start saving money

have to compare between compact transmission line and this

:)